Saturday, December 15, 2007

003 My Guru and I can extend lives and prevent death

Paramahamsa Yogananda's beliefs went beyond human reasoning.

For example, he believed that his Guru (Yukteswar) extended the life of a dying veterinary surgeon by six months at the request of his disciple (Yogananda). Yogananda wrote in Chapter 17 of Autobiography of a Yogi.

"... This case was one of my strangest experiences with Master. He healed the rebellious veterinary surgeon in spite of his disbelief, and extended the man's natural term on earth by six months, just because of my earnest supplication. Sri Yukteswar was boundless in his kindness when confronted by the urgent prayer of a devotee. ..."


Mr. Roy, the veterinary Doctor suffered from diabetes. He and his son Santosh visited Yukteswar's Ashram. Here, the conversation is quite amusing and interesting:

"Why bring a dead man to the ashram?" Sri Yukteswar looked at me inquiringly as soon as the door had closed on the Calcutta skeptic.

"Sir! The doctor is very much alive!"

"But in a short time he will be dead."

I was shocked. "Sir, this will be a terrible blow to his son. Santosh yet hopes for time to change his father's materialistic views. I beseech you, Master, to help the man."

"Very well; for your sake." My guru's face was impassive. "The proud horse doctor is far gone in diabetes, although he does not know it. In fifteen days he will take to his bed. The physicians will give him up for lost; his natural time to leave this earth is six weeks from today. Due to your intercession, however, on that date he will recover. But there is one condition. You must get him to wear an astrological bangle; he will doubtless object as violently as one of his horses before an operation!" Master chuckled.


"... As soon as the man gets well, advise him not to eat meat. He will not heed this counsel, however, and in six months, just as he is feeling at his best, he will drop dead. Even that six-month extension of life is granted him only because of your plea. ..."


Yogananda and Santosh got an armlet prepared and took it to Dr. Roy for wearing. Dr. Roy refused to wear it.

"... I am in the best of health. You will never impress me with these astrological superstitions." The doctor glanced at me belligerently. ..."


After seven days Dr. Roy fell ill, then consented to wear the bangle. The physician wrote of Roy's case as hopeless.

Yogananda:
"... My guru has said that, after a sickness lastingone month, Dr. Roy will be well. ..."


Physician after 15 days:"... Dr. Roy has made a complete recovery!" he exclaimed. "It is the most amazing case in my experience. Never before have I seen a dyingman show such an inexplicable comeback. Your guru must indeed be
a healing prophet! ..."



Dr. Roy after six months without shifting to a meatless diet:
"... Tell your teacher that by eating meat frequently, I have wholly regained my strength. His unscientific ideas on diet have not influenced me. ..." It was true that Dr. Roy looked a picture of health.




(Santosh s/o Dr. Roy next day says to Yoganananda):
"... This morning Father dropped dead! ..."

1 comment:

Dr Ashish Mahobia said...

Hi

I have a complete series of wallpapers on Shri paramahansa yogananda and Shri Daya Mataji's teachings . kindly do opine.

www.sharedivinelove.blogspot.com